HQ Staff Blog
Popular Blog Articles
Top 15 Steps to Freshen Your Home This Spring
It is time to start the spring-cleaning. Roll up your sleeves, grab a pail and get to work. Taking care of your home will help to keep it in good, working condition. A home that is maintained is one that has value - people want to live in a home that is clean, organized and cared for. After a long winter, even a mild one, it is time to open the windows and let the sunshine in. Where do you start?
The following are some of the most important things to do throughout the home to freshen, de-clutter and clean out the home. Which of these are you doing this weekend?
1. When it warms enough to get outdoors for the day, do so. Be sure to get to the windows and sills first. It allows you to bring the sunshine into the home. Be sure to wash out all screens too- take them out and rinse them out.
2. With spring in this portion of Canada comes rain. For that reason along, get to the gutters as soon as you can. Clean them out and ensure they are bolted to the home properly. Ensure the water flow moves away from the home's foundation.
3. Get into the garage or other storage areas and get rid of all of the stuff that is accumulated throughout the winter months. Move equipment out and wash out the area, too. Snow, ice and debris can push into these areas potentially damaging the foundation or creating the ideal place for animals to nest.
4. Walk around the exterior of the home looking for damage from winter. Look for rotting wood or siding that is pulled off. Be sure that any surface that could be watered damaged is repaired.
5. Hit those wooden decks next. Clean them and then re-stain them as necessary. This will significantly improve the condition and protect them from the months of rain and sun ahead.
6. Do not forget the lawn and gardens. Clean out all leaves and debris properly. This is the first impression of your home. Consider the benefits of aerating the lawn and, by the end of April, the first application of fertilizer needs to go down.
7. Check all cement for cracks or damage. Get these repaired now to avoid bigger problems as rain continues to fall.
8. Paint now. Freshen up the interior and exterior of the home with a fresh coat of paint. It is one of the best ways to let spring in. Take on a fresh look if you dare.
9. Get the power washer out. Clean driveways, the siding and virtually any exterior area with it. This is a great way to wash away the dirt and grime that winter so often leaves behind.
10. Wipe down and re-paint as necessary all ceilings in the home. The ceiling needs attention - look for any signs of water damage or leaks while you do this.
11. Clean those rugs. Hire a professional or do the work yourself. The goal here is to ensure all rugs get a good scrubbing to remove the dirt from the depths of the carpet. You won't believe what's lurking here.
12. Check the grout in all areas of the home. Over time, grout can break off and expose the under surfaces, creating the ideal place for mold to grow.
13. Check the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Ensure the home's fire extinguisher is working properly, too.
14. Pay attention to the floors. Tile often needs the grout cleaned and freshened. Wood may need re-staining or polishing. The floors take a punishment throughout winter.
15. Ensure all of your heating, cooling and appliances are in good working order. Now is the time to get the air conditioner technician out to do a formal summer inspection, too.
Are you doing these things to freshen your home this spring? Do so and you will preserve its value and you will feel good having family over to the home on a regular basis this summer.
Questionable Content? Click here to report it to the webmaster.